The days are getting longer and warmer; people are emerging out of the dim dark depths of the winter cover-up. Families are gathering around parks on Sundays and having barbecues with friends. So you find your summer shorts and strappy shirt only to find that the zip won't do up and when did you develop those flabby arms?
- Time to shape up for summer but what is the best way to get fast results?
Decide if you just want to look good or if you really want to be fit, healthy and feel fantastic. The only way to stay motivated and move into your new healthy self is if you value your health. Ask yourself, who do have to become to be the fit and healthy person you desire? You have to become that person who selects food that will nourish their body, who eats to satisfy the body's needs and hunger and does not overindulge in food or alcohol. That person respects their body every day and enjoys an active, fulfilling lifestyle.
- Move more. Incidental exercise is very important. At least 1hour of incidental exercise every day. Take the stairs instead of the lift, walk to the shops, walk to your colleague on the next floor instead of emailing them.
- Get up in the morning and go outside for a walk, jog or swim, you will start the day feeling energetic with an hour of increased heart rate and breathing and this will take you through the rest of the day.
- Join a gym or exercise group. If you make a commitment to others to join them in the morning to exercise, it will help to motivate you.
- Do something you love or try a new sport.
- Try some yoga or pilates to help support your inner strength and psychological well being.
- Lift some weights a couple of times a week to help build muscle tone, increase your bone strength and metabolic rate.
- Meditate every day to help clear your mind and build a healthy self-esteem.
- Play with your pets. Research says that people with pets exercise more, get sick less and are happier.
- Start the day with a healthy breakfast of some fruit, protein and carbohydrates. Avoid fatty breakfasts as your body will crave fat for the rest of the day and you will feel sluggish.
- Encourage healthy eating at work. Suggest that you don't have any birthday cakes and replace the biscuits with fruit and yoghurt
- Decide to not drink alcohol for a couple of weeks to completely get rid of it from your system. After a couple of weeks, decide to only drink alcohol a couple of days a week, you will feel better and probably lose weight.
- Be happy, its easy to be happy, it is a state of mind that you can choose.
- Getting fit, healthy and feeling good starts in your head. Get it right there and it will carry on to the rest of your body and your life.