Swedish massage (sometimes called classic massage) is the massage style that most people think of when they think about massage. It was developed in the late 18th century and was the first form of systematic therapeutic massage to be developed in the West. Swedish massage forms the basis for many modern massage styles and much of the massage therapy delivered by our therapists at Advantage Healthcare.
Swedish massage is comprised of five core techniques:
- Effleurage: long gliding strokes along or across muscles
- Petrissage: kneading movements directed across muscles
- Frictions: firm circular motions
- Vibrations or rocking
- Tapotement: rythmic tapping or percussion
The above techniques work in combination to provide numerous physical and psychological benefits including:
- Improved circulation
- Normalised muscle tone and length
- Removal of metabolic waste products from muscle
- Improved recovery after injury or exercise session
- Calming of nervous system
- Reduction in pain
- Reduction in psychological stress.
- and many more....