Type 2 diabetes is sometimes described as a 'lifestyle disease.' It is strongly associated with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and/or excess weight.
Exercise provides several important benefits to the patient with diabetes.
These benefits include;
- improvement in blood glucose control
- improved insulin sensitivity
- decreased risk of cardiovascular disease
- reduction in body weight and
- decreased levels of stress reducing medication requirements and allowing them to work effectively.
Regular aerobic exercise can also assist in the prevention of Type II Diabetes, especially in patients with impaired glucose tolerance, a family history of diabetes or those who have had gestational diabetes.
If you would like to know more, please contact Advantage Healthcare and Physiotherapy Wynnum